Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

MY SOUL WAITS IN SILENCE...

Psalm 62:1-2(NRSV) says to us…“For God alone my soul waits in silence, from him comes my salvation. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall never be shaken.”

Leaning back from my work for a while, I just sit here in quiet contemplation of God and His goodness. The dog we are caring for is sleeping, my wife is out doing her wife stuff, and I have this moment of golden silence when I can simply bask in God’s presence. When all the racket of our busy lives is quieted, it seems we can get a clear channel from our heart directly to God as He speaks from His.

I suppose silence could also seem to be loud and almost intimidating if we are impatiently waiting for answers to our prayers. It’s in those times that God’s silence almost thunders at us, rattling our confidence as we are left with wondering if He has abandoned us. In those loud times of God’s silence, we must place our hope in two great truths: the truth of God’s faithfulness, and the truth of God’s sovereignty. It is only when we put our hope in Him that we will not be disappointed…even when the answer is not what we expected. It is wise to simply trust Him and wait patiently in the silence as our faith is tested and strengthened.

I have learned that sitting in silence, whether it is in the “loud” silence of unanswered prayer, or the “quiet” silence of enjoying God’s presence, gives God a chance to bless me. As we wait and watch in silence, God touches us with the blessing of His presence. Our silence draws us into this wonderful moment of intimacy with God. His best gift, the gift of Himself, is most often given to us in silence.

God, when I sit in the loudness of Your silence and cannot hear Your voice, help me to rest in Your constant love and the intimate quiet silence of Your presence. Amen

No comments: