Search This Blog

Monday, February 14, 2011

WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH 5 MINUTES ALONE WITH GOD?

I wonder what it would be like to have God’s undivided attention for five minutes? I mean just five minutes…after all God is a pretty busy God. So, just a five minute slice of heaven… five minutes alone with the Lord… and then, poof, on you go to whatever happens to be the next thing on your schedule. But, in that five minutes…you could ask anything you wanted. I wonder what I would ask. Would I ask God the big questions about suffering and evil? Or, would I use my time to intervene for loved ones? Would I ask Him if He could just grant us world peace? Would I ask Him what is truth? What would I do with my five minutes with God? What would you do? What would you ask Him, or talk about?…I mean, you only have five minutes.

I have decided that I would simply enjoy His company. If all I got were five minutes, I would not waste them on my own questions and concerns. I really don’t need to understand how suffering and evil works into God’s plan for the universe. I have already learned to trust that God knows how it all fits together…and, quite honestly, that is good enough for me. I don’t really have to worry about my loved ones, either. God is already doing His work in their lives…and, they are in God’s good hands. And, I don’t really think I have to intercede for world peace, or plead for an end to world hunger in my five minutes. I can do that anytime, any day…and, besides no one cares about these issues more than God. So, to bring such concerns to God is a waste of my precious minutes.

So I think I would just enjoy Him! I would praise Him. I would express my love for Him. I would enjoy His undivided attention for five minutes. I would simply lose myself in God’s glory, love and grace. Five minutes spent like that would feel like an eternity!

I think I would spend my five minutes with God much like I spend most of my “quiet time” with God each day…simply sitting in His presence in quiet reverence. Oh, it’s true that I do also do my share of confession (lot’s of confession), petition, and intercession. But, you know, sometimes as I pray those types of prayers,… I always feel like they are somewhat unnecessary, though very much expected of me…I AM a pastor after all! You see…God knows what I need…and He knows what others need before I ask. But, I pray anyway. I pray because I believe God loves to hear from little people like me, that it delights Him to hear us ask. God knows the concerns and thankfulness of my heart. But, I believe it is still important to express my needs and thanks to Him.

Most of my prayer time with God is wordlessly opening my heart to the joy, and awe, and wonder of being with Him. When I am truly with God, it seems as if time stops. Five minutes in God’s presence is an eternity. It is more than enough. I suppose if I had learned anything from God and how He has shown me to live through the example of Jesus…I would give three of my five minutes away to someone who needed them much more. How would you spend your five minutes with God? I would love to hear from you on this.

No comments: