Search This Blog

Thursday, February 10, 2011

THE DEAFENING QUIET OF LONELINESS

I find my heart heavy this morning for people who are lonely. Some of them have people all around them, but they are still living in a lonely place that is hard to explain. When we were growing up and plans for our lives were being formulated, I’m pretty certain that the our hopes and dreams didn’t include loneliness. Yet, throughout all of our society there are so many people who struggle with that loneliness everyday. And, they are trying to have their loneliness understood by people in their lives who have never lived alone. Someone has always been there for them, whether it was their parents, or roommates in college, maybe a spouse, or kids. And, they think others could never be as lonely as me.

I don’t think anything can be so lonely as being suddenly alone when your world has been shaken by divorce, or death of your mate, or a close friend. There are just so many things that cause us to be suddenly alone. It is so hard to learn to trust again, it is hard to allow ourselves the transparency to confide in someone else. Most of all, it must be so frustrating when you cannot find someone who can understand your hurts and pains, or provide the comfort you so deeply desire.

It would be easy to begin to wonder: Who am I, and where am I going? Will I ever be happy again? Why me? Everything just seems to magnify the fact that you are alone. And, in the middle of all that, it is easiest to fall prey to emotions of rejection. Fear, anxiety, and worry quickly fill lonely hours. Don’t you know that there are so many in our world who just need to be loved…who just need to feel safe.

It’s in those deep moments that those who are lonely begin to think God has let them down. The lonely mind can easily begin to question if God even exist. And, if He does… He certainly must be indifferent to their pain. But, take heart today…God is not indifferent. Jesus tell us, “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.” So, I know God hears those lonely cries for help, and encourages all to draw near to Him. He is there to guide and give comfort.

Father I thank You today for your presence in my own life. I trust in Your love for me and I know You always have my best interest at heart. So I'm asking You now, to bring people into the live of those who are searching for good and trusting relationships. Remove from them their feelings of loneliness, and complete them with loving companionship just as you have blessed me with my loving wife and companion. Thank you Father…in Jesus name I pray…amen.

No comments: