Search This Blog

Monday, June 20, 2011

I LOVE FISHING!

"As He (Jesus) was walking along the sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon, who was called Peter, and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the sea, since they were fishermen. "Follow me," He told them, "and I will make you fishers of men!" Immediately, they left their nets and followed Him" (Matthew 4:18-20)

There are only a few things that I can do that will take my mind off of the stresses of life and work. There are only a few things that I do where I can lay aside all of my cares, at least for a while. And, one of those things is fishing. I love fishing! Vacation time is on the horizon, and, I am looking forward to spending a few weeks up north on Big Turtle Lake in Minnesota...just fishing.

I love to be in the boat and apply everything that I have learned about fish to outsmart fish. I love to catch fish. I love to eat fish. I love everything about fishing. I don't even mind cleaning the fish that I catch. There are a few jealous friends and relatives that make fun of the size of my fish…and, I do have to confess it’s true that I have no trophy fish on my walls. Some days I really catch a lot of fish... but, you know,…even if I hadn't caught a single fish… I still have had a good time. I just love fishing.

Jesus said that we are to be "Fishers of men." I am a "fisher of men" in my preaching. You are "fishers of men" when you show others Jesus in you. We may only be the bait with God holding the pole, but none the less we are all "fishers of men." We are to be constantly thinking of ways in which we can spread the good news of Jesus Christ to the people in our realm of influence who need Him.

Obviously, we cannot expect to "catch" every lost person with the message, or with our worship music, or with our programs or events, any more than we can expect to catch every fish with our bait. But, we go; and we tell; and we share; and we win some; we disciple them. We do it the best we can so that others might learn to become fishers of men as well.  I love fishing!  How about you?

No comments: