Search This Blog

Monday, June 6, 2011

CAREGIVERS ARE SPECIAL PEOPLE

There are very special people who everyday have to come to grips with life, caring for a disabled or seriously ill child or adult. They are often unknown, and more often go unnoticed. Yet, their sacrificial love is God at His best. Their walk is a walk of faith in the darkness that most of us cannot know, but their great courage, even in the middle of weakness and weariness, gives life to the ones they love. They provide the ultimate care for their special people by simply being there for them, holding a hand, or giving comforting words.

In their weariness, I can almost hear their unspoken, yet anguished cries to God:

“Great and gracious Almighty God, My life has become so difficult I don’t want to get out of bed in the morning. Every day is a new day of dread and I’m weary, worn, and discouraged before my feet even touch the floor. Each day I face is like the one before and each day to come will be no different. I am so tired. Between cooking, cleaning, shopping, and doctor appointments, my life is a merry-go-round that is spinning out of control and I can’t get off. Then there’s the mountains of laundry piling up faster than the machines and I can get them done. Oh Lord, please help me.

Renew, refresh, and strengthen my body, my mind, and my spirit so that my thoughts are of You rather than lists of tasks that remain undone from yesterday. Help me to focus on the present instead of looking at the road ahead. Whisper your love to me in the gentle touches of my family as I pat a head, or hug shoulders, rub tired feet, or scratch an itching back. As a caregiver for my deeply loved family member, let me be simply a conduit for Your love to pour through to those who need my assistance just to make it through each day. Be my shelter in this great storm of life, for listening to my cries of despair, for lifting me up when I feel overwhelmed. You are my salvation and my joy, regardless of the circumstances around me. Grant my heart with your peace which prevails over all.”

Father, Bless those who accept that they have been given care of a very fragile person… never knowing why this task has been passed to them. Help them to realize that what they do has great value. Give to them strength to care for their special person, whether a spouse, a parent, or child, to the best of their abilities. Help them to forgive themselves for the days they could do better, but don't…as well as for the days they would do better, but cannot. Teach them how to draw from Your well of infinite patience and energy, and open their hearts up to the possibility of joy, of fulfillment, and of Your grace. In Jesus Name…Amen.

No comments: