Search This Blog

Friday, January 7, 2011

A TORN HEART

As part of my Old Testament devotion time yesterday morning, I was reading in Joel and was captured by this passage. It comes after a lot of language that is essentially saying, "The consequences of sin and disobedience are rolling down the hill at you and you won't be able to stand it." And, then comes this call of hope from the God who loves his people.

“That is why the LORD says, “Turn to me now, while there is time! Give me your hearts. Come with fasting, weeping, and mourning. Don’t tear your clothing in your grief; instead, tear your hearts.” Return to the LORD your God, for he is gracious and merciful. He is not easily angered. He is filled with kindness and is eager not to punish you.” (Joel 2:12-13 New Living Translation)

What do you think? Are we wanting to just clean up our appearance and have cleaner clothes on? Or do we want our heart torn and mended by the Lord so that we are different altogether? The latter is harder and takes longer, but it is what the Lord is calling us to do.

Lord, I humbly bow before You, I tear my heart for You…and ask You to show me any sin in my life that I may confess it to You. Cleanse my heart and renew a right spirit within me. Forgive me for thoughts, words, or deeds, that have been part of my life that are not glorifying to You. Through Your Spirit I choose to walk away from these patterns of speech, thought, and action, and live as You would have me live. Forgive and restore me, Lord, and grant me Your marvelous grace. Amen.

No comments: