Search This Blog

Monday, January 31, 2011

YOU GOTTA DEAL WITH NOW, BEFORE YOU DEAL WITH NEXT

How often do we hear people ask the question…“How can I know what God wants NEXT for my life?” I think that is a good question for all of us to ask, but, before we get to that question…we first have to deal with what God is doing NOW. And, if we’re painfully honest with ourselves, the reason we are asking the “what is NEXT” question, is because we don’t want to deal with what God is doing NOW! The thing we need to come to grips with is that God will not reveal what is NEXT… until we are obedient in what He is revealing NOW!

Our Father’s plans for us are absolutely amazing! 1 Corinthians 2:9 says, “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him.” Ephesians 3:20 tells us, “Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine!” He really does want to take us to places that we could never even imagine! But...until we deal with the issues brought before us in our life NOW… He will allow us to stay right where we are. How can we expect Him to trust us with what’s next if we are not obedient with what’s right now!

Look at it this way…let’s say God reveals an area of our life we need to deal with, and instead of becoming obedient and submissive to His leadership we say, “Well, I’m not going to obey THAT…but instead I will do this!” It’s like trying to negotiate a better deal with God. An example would be, “Well, I am not going to stop my ___________ (just fill in the blank with whatever happens to be your favorite sin), even though I know it is destructive to me and to those I love most…but, what I will do instead is I will get involved in lots of Bible studies,…I’ll sing really loud at church…and, I’ll get really involved in serving.”

You see, radical obedience in one area of our lives is not a license to pursue disobedience in another. Christianity is meeting Jesus and then following Him for the rest of our lives…one step at a time. So…what is that step of obedience He is leading you to? What is that thing that always keeps coming up? What is the issue He is wanting you to let go of? Trust me… He’s not making you deal with that issue because He hates you…He wants you to deal with it because He loves you and wants to see greater things. Let’s deal with what’s now so we can really move towards what’s next!

No comments: