Search This Blog

Thursday, January 13, 2011

SNOWFORTS, SNOWBALLS, AND SNOW ANGELS

I sit here again this morning, looking out my window at the blanket of snow that covers the yard. I remember how as a kid, I both loved and despised winter. I could expect and often experienced grey skies, ice, and snow. But, most of the time, the winter snows were time for fun and adventure. I was reminded of that yesterday morning as I was cruising through my facebook news, and saw a “How to Make Snow Angels” post by a friend.

Nothing in my life as a child was more thrilling than the news that school was called off for snow. It didn’t occur that often, but maybe once or twice a year. And when it did, I think every kid in Ashley would get all bundled up, we poured out of our houses and the antics began: snow angels, snow men and women, forts of snow and ice, catching snowflakes on our tongues, grabbing a sled or piece of cardboard, and endless snow ball fights. And, if we were really lucky, we would get the dangerous sled ride with the sled tied to the bumper of some great dad’s car! I wonder if that’s why they don’t put bumpers on cars anymore? We’d also take mom’s largest mixing bowl and fill it with clean white snow and return it to her. She would add a bit of vanilla and milk…and presto, change-o “snow ice cream”… incredible! It was fresh from the hand of God and mom!

I don’t quite know when the delight of winter began to fade with me. Seems winter shifted to be about adult worrying…about weather traffic,… about clearing the sidewalk and driving… about how the cold damp air brings out aches that won’t go away. I found myself having to deal with whether or not I’d fall on my behind, or field the early morning calls from those who wanted to know if church was to be cancelled or not (I suspect some were just looking for an excuse). It seems that in my older age, I have come to reject God’s gift of winter. Maybe it’s about time that I had an attitude adjustment. Maybe I need to return to the delight of my childhood. Could it be that winter is simply a Sabbath…a time to stop, breathe in crisp cold air, and find some joy along with others in the mystery and beauty of God? Could God be calling me to experience this winter day as one of great joy and delight?

Winter is a time of quiet. Snow muffles the noise. Snow clears the landscape …creating a white blank slate. Winter can send us into solitude…not one filled with fearful silence or one of loneliness…but, a resting place in God. Could God be calling us to experience this winter day as one of silence and prayer…listening for God’s revealing?

The Scripture says “For everything there is the season.” It calls us to listen for God in all the seasons of our lives… all the changes, all the twists and turns in our lives. Listen for God in the season. Listen for God in winter. Listen for God’s will in the midst of the cold winter or winter wonderland of a snowfall. “Be still and know that I am God.”

No comments: