Search This Blog

Monday, March 7, 2011

I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO BEING AN OLD MAN SOMEDAY

I suppose I leave myself open to all sorts of wise-cracks from some of my readers when I say, “I am looking forward to being an old man someday.” Some, no doubt are thinking right now… “John, you ARE an old man.” Some, compare me to my gorgeous young wife and wonder “What did she ever see in an old man like you?” It’s true that I am older than she is…but not that much older…she just ages better. We’ll have to save the answer for what she saw in me for another blog.

I will admit I am not the young guy I used to be…but, I am still not in the category of the older guy that I am speaking of. I was just sitting here thinking of some of the godly older men that I am blessed to serve God alongside, and I find myself admiring them for the men they have become. And, I am hoping I will be able to live up to the standards many of them have set for men of God. I look up to the older guys in my church. We young guys need to do that more. I’m looking forward to being an old man one day...one of those men with lots of stories. They have amazing stories to tell, and there is a lot of stuff we can learn from them…I’m talking about good stuff that will hang with you. There are some things that I pray don’t ever disappear with the older generations. And, while I believe many men in the church desire to be godly leaders, there are some things that the older generation just does well…certainly better than younger men do.

For example…take hats. I love it that some of the older dudes in my church wear hats. It’s classy. When you get older…you aren’t so preoccupied with being cool…so, you can wear a cool hat…and BE cool! Without a hat, what are you going to tip to a lady! I’m thinking more young men should wear hats (and, I’m not talking about some grungy ball cap…it’s just not the same thing). Maybe next time I’m shopping I need to try a few on.

Another thing that is great about being an old man is that most older men just dress classier. I grew up and spent most of my life in a suit. A tie was a necessary part of my wardrobe. I still have visions of every preacher I ever encountered before 1998 dressed in a suit. It may have not been the most current style, but, it was a suit. What happened to the suit? What happened to crisp shirts and sharp dress? It is true I have succumbed to the relaxed, unbuttoned down casual look so I can be “relevant” and “with it”. But, I secretly look forward to the day when I can trade in my khaki pants and sweater, for a suit (or, at least a nice shirt, pants, and a jacket).

One of the truly great things I look forward to in becoming an old man is chivalry. I sometimes wonder in some of the younger generations even know how to spell the word. I’m praying God works a miracle, and preserves chivalry for my old age. I admire the characteristic in our older men. Young men, you ought talk to some of the older guys in your church about chivalry. You will learn a lot from them.

I think that one of the things that made it possible for men to become older, wiser, more chivalrous godly men was there once was a clear distinction of what it meant to be a man. The boys were boys…the men were men. There was a sort of unwritten rite of passage that was required to move from boyhood to manhood. Now, it seems that no one wants to grow up. Manhood in this day and age is measured by who can run the fastest, lift the most weights, drive the fastest, punch the hardest, swim the farthest, dive the deepest, kick the pig skin through two up-right poles the straightest, slam dunk the best, hit a ball the fastest and farthest. But, our Lord describes manhood quite differently from this. When I think of godly older men, I think of terms like, faith, integrity, courage, strength, principle, endurance, and prayer. I admire their faith and maturity. They are not all frantic in making sure everyone sees they are doing stuff to make them look spiritual… they have had time to learn from the older men of the church who taught them how to be. When I look at the wealth of wisdom,… years of experience,… scars from hard work and trials…and perseverance lived in the lives of the older Christian men of my church,…I can’t help but be thankful to God for them, and admire them. We can learn from the older guys. They know what it means to be a godly man.

So, yes… I’m looking forward to being an old man with all that goes along with it…the hats… class... chivalry…experience…and, godliness. Younger men, you bring a boat load to the table (and I know many of you agree with what I am saying),… but there is so much to learn from the older guys. Older men, please don’t let your stories die with you. Tell them. Tell them well. Tell them over and over. Tell them to the next generation. We could use your wisdom, your godliness….and your hats.

No comments: