Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

FORGOTTEN PROMISES

For You have heard my vows, O God; You have given me the inheritance of those who fear Your name.“ Psalm 61:5

I can remember it like it was yesterday. Our kids were little, and my wife’s sisters had done a pretty good job in keeping up with growing their families as well. There were nephews and nieces all over the place. We all decided to take a family trip…including all the in laws (and outlaws) to Six Flags in St. Louis. You know what I’m talking about…the whole family heads off for a weekend of rides, game booths, and lots and lots of food. You just buy your tickets, and take the kids on ride after ride until you either puke or pass out. 

Having consumed more than my share of hotdogs and other various treats, I found myself with my darling daughter in front of the line to the Screaming Eagle roller coaster. I could tell she didn’t really want to go on it, but her adventurous cousins did. So, Sara being the oldest felt compelled to take on that monster. The dads were then drafted to ride along (as if we could do anything to protect our little darlin’s from meeting an untimely end on this monster of a machine.) 

Now, I’ve never been particularly fond of carnival rides…especially roller coasters. I know that for some people its like heaven come down to earth to race around a tiny track at speeds no one should ever go, in what seemed to be nothing more than a bunch of little wagons connected to each other. Little did I know what awaited me. As soon as the ride started moving I realized I had made a terrible mistake. The climb to the top was slow and torturous. But, that was the last of anything that could be considered slow about it. My head started spinning. My stomach started spinning. The hot dog and bag of cotton candy that I had eaten earlier began looking for the nearest exit. I screamed!…I cried! All I wanted was for the ride TO STOP!!! (all while trying to hide my terror from my daughter). And then, it happened. In the middle of all my pain and peril I petitioned the Divine One for His merciful intervention.  God, save me!!!… Get me off this ride and I will do anything!!!… ANYTHING!!!… Just do something!!!”  Thankfully, the ride came to an end in the next few moments. I pulled myself out of the seat, vowing to never do that again. And then, just like we so often do…I quickly forgot about my promise to God and off on my next adventure.

I suppose most of you can probably guess the point of what I’m trying to say. We have all been there at some time in our lives. Life is sometimes like a roller coaster…racing around, up and down, sometimes even spinning out of control. The thrill we had initially anticipated had given way to trials and testings. The situation we were in was making us sick. Our circumstances had brought us to tears. All we wanted was for it to end. And so, we began to bargain with God. We promised Him anything and everything if He would just intervene. “God, I will serve you. I will obey. I will stop. I will change. I will go. I will give. Whatever you want. Wherever you want me to go. Just SAVE me!!!

Maybe the circumstances surrounding your own vows and promises weren’t so dramatic. Maybe it was simply part of an expression of gratitude. But, in a moment of emotion you told God the same words. The music had been moving. The preaching had been passionate. The call had been clear. And maybe you went to the altar, or stood at your seat…but, you promised God the sky and the moon because of all that He had done for you. God, I will serve you. I will obey. I will stop. I will change. I will go. I will give. Whatever you want. Wherever you want me to go. Just USE me!!!And, in that moment you really meant it….with all your heart. But now, years that have passed and you have long since forgotten the promises of that special time when you called out to God.

What about you today? Now that God has showered His mercy and grace upon you, have you kept your word? Have you fulfilled your vows? Or have you just moved on to the next great adventure? The Bible gives us serious word of warning in Ecclesiastes 5:1-5: “When you make a vow to God, do not be late in paying it; for He takes no delight in fools. Pay what you vow! It is better that you should not vow than that you should vow and not pay.” We all want God to hear our cries for help. But, we must understand that the same God who hears our cries also hears our vows. We often forget that our words have value, and our promises carry tremendous power and potential.   Spend some time alone with God and let Him take you back today….back to that time when your life was out of control…. Do you remember?   Do you remember when you cried out and He heard you?   He saved you.   He kept His word.   Only one question remains…Have we kept ours?

No comments: