Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2011

BECOMING CHRISTLIKE IS MORE THAN TAKING A "JESUS PILL"

I could be that because of spending the day trying to recover from flu like symptoms all day today that I am in a weakened state of mind, but whatever the cause, I find myself in the middle of one of those “transparent” moments from which we pastor’s try to shield and protect ourselves. I’ve added a new section to my blog called “Taking Personal Inventory” where I simply ask a question for us to ponder about our own personal growth into Christian maturity. The questions were supposed to be for you…but, wow… I find that maybe the Holy Spirit intends them even more for me.

Taking personal inventory is an important part of our Spiritual formation. It seems like I am taking inventory every day. And sometimes my self inventory results show areas where I am lacking. I must confess that I find that there are moment when I can feel a little overwhelmed in the work of the Lord that I have been called to do. Don’t get me wrong…I'm thankful and I am privileged to hear so many people's stories, and I am blessed to be called to help others to grow in their relationship with Christ. I love it! But, there are times when I am overwhelmed, that I wish spiritual growth and formation was a little more neat and tidy. But, it’s not. We can’t just come to church Sunday morning and take a "Jesus pill" and be ready for the week to come.

Spiritual formation (or how we become more like Jesus) happens every moment of everyday. It happens as we wait in line at the grocery store and pray for patience. It happens when we choose to say "no" to the temptations that our flesh screams “yes” to. It happens when we serve others and no one takes notice. It happens when we hurt someone and ask forgiveness. And, it happens in the ways we fill our minds with God's transforming thoughts as we ponder a message from God through daily devotions, or some Christian blogger’s musings. I pray that In the Cool of the Day helps fill your mind with God’s transforming thoughts.

I love John Ortberg's quote: "God isn't a mass-producer He's a handcrafter." That is so true in my life. He is continually working on this project called John Vaughn, to turn me into the person He created me to be. I have no doubt there are times God would like to just give me a “Jesus Pill”…It certainly would make it go a lot easier for Him. But, I am thankful He does not get discouraged in His labor as He handcrafts me into the person that not only He created me to be, but the person I want to be. I do not share my thoughts in "In The Cool of the Day" because "I think you need this.” I share them because whether the thoughts are memories of a personal learning lesson, or simply musing and meditations on a Bible passage I have been reading…each of these have been amazing, life-giving, and motivating for me, and I hope that my transparent moments and personal inventory questions may be beneficial for you, too. So, how is God handcrafting you? What are the crafting tools He has been using in your life this week?

"Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another." Hebrews 10:24-25

No comments: