Search This Blog

Sunday, December 26, 2010

A MEDITATION ON PRAYER

I love the LORD, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live. (Psalm 116:1-2)

Who has time for prayer? My ‘to do’ list is always longer than my day. I run from the time the alarm goes off in the morning until I fall into bed at night. How can I possibly find time to do one more thing? When could I find even a few minutes to read the Bible or pray?” The question is not “Where do I find the time?” The question is, “Are you doing what’s important in your day...or only what is urgent?” I think for the most part, people do what they want to do. All of us make choices, and when we don’t make time for God in our day,...Let me repeat that...When we don’t make time for God in our day....when we don’t make time for the most important relationship in our life,…we are probably not making the best choices.

I remember a story told about a man who had nothing for his family to eat. All he had was an old shotgun and three bullets. So, he decided that he would go out and kill something for dinner. As he went down the road, he saw a rabbit and he shot at the rabbit and missed it. Then he saw a wild turkey and fired a shot at the turkey, and missed it. As he went a little further, he saw a squirrel in a tree and he had only one bullet,…but a voice came to him and said "Pray first, aim high and stay focused."  About that time, he saw a deer which was a better kill. He brought the barrel down and aimed at the deer. But, then he saw a rattlesnake between his legs about to bite him, so he naturally brought the gun down further to shoot the rattlesnake. Again, the voice said again to him, "I said 'pray, aim high, and stay focused."  So, the man decided to listen to the voice. He prayed, then aimed the gun high up in the tree, and shot the squirrel. The bullet went through the squirrel, bounced off the tree and killed the deer. In his shock he dropped the gun and hit the snake in the head and killed it. And, when the gun had gone off, it knocked him off balance and he fell backwards into a pond. When he stood to look around, he had fish in all his pockets, a dead deer and squirrel to eat. And, the snake, (Satan) was dead…simply because the man listened to God.

Pray first before you do anything, aim and shoot high in your goals, and stay focused on God. God greatly desires to spend time alone with us. After all, He created us....we are His children. He loves us. He loves us so much that He gave His only Son for our salvation. He knows you, and He wants you to know Him. The Creator of the Universe wants to meet with you alone daily. What an awesome thought! How can you say no to such of an opportunity!

The only requirement for a right time, right place, or right position with God is your willing heart. Jesus often slipped away to be alone in prayer, but even His prayer times varied. He prayed in the morning and late at night, on a hill, and in the upper room. Some people who spend a lot of time on the highways traveling to work use that time to be with God. Others get up earlier than the rest of the family for a quiet time of reading the Scriptures and praying. Some find morning is best....before the telephone starts to ring or they get involved in the day’s schedule. So, even though the times and places where we meet God will vary, the fact that we meet alone with God each day should be a constant in our life. After all, God had made it clear that He is interested in us who are His children. He wants to hear from His children.

Some say, “I don’t always know what to talk to God about.” No need to worry, God knows your heart and He knows what you want to say even before the words are spoken.

Time with God is never wasted. If you spend time alone with God in the morning, you’ll start your day refreshed and ready for whatever comes your way. If you spend time alone with Him in the evening, you’ll go to sleep relaxed, resting in His care and ready for a new day to serve Him. You can talk to Him anytime, anywhere....about anything. You don’t have to make an appointment to ask Him for something you need or to thank Him for something you have received from Him.

I love the LORD, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live.”  Why not make that a commitment in your life. It will make a difference in your life.

No comments: